Essentials of Understanding Psychology 11th Edition By Feldman – Test Bank
1.Psychology is defined as the:
A. intuition-based approach to study human behavior.
B. speculative method to find answers about human cognition.
C. study of mental disorders and their treatment.
D. scientific study of behavior and mental processes.
2. Akira has declared psychology as his major. He will be studying:
A. internal medicine.
B. behavior and mental processes.
C. mental disorders and their diagnosis and treatment.
D. the disorders of the central nervous system.
3. A single-sentence definition of psychology may be misleading because:
A. it is very difficult to study the mind and behavior scientifically.
B. psychology is a narrower, more specific field than a general definition might suggest.
C. psychologists disagree on how broad psychology should really be.
D. the discipline of psychology really has no core or center.
4. Which of the following is NOT one of the goals of psychology?
5. In order to study mind and behavior, psychologists:
A. rely on the scientific method.
B. use their intuition.
C. rely on the study of internal medicine.
D. use speculation.
6. In what way are the diverse subfields of psychology related?
A. They allow psychologists to explain different types of behavior in the same way.
B. They ultimately share a common goal.
C. They always lead to an M.D. (Doctor of Medicine) degree.
D. They are not related at all other than being considered part of psychology.
7. Dr. Alvarez studies how the degeneration of certain components of nerve cells in the brain might
contribute to the development of multiple sclerosis. Dr. Alvarez’s work BEST exemplifies the _____
subfield of psychology.
D. behavioral neuroscience